Quantcast

Mode of delivery and postpartum morbidity in Latin American and Caribbean countries among women who are infected with human immunodeficiency virus-1: the NICHD International Site Development Initiative (NISDI) Perinatal Study.

Research paper by Geraldo G Duarte, Jennifer S JS Read, René R Gonin, Laura L Freimanis, Silvina S Ivalo, Victor H VH Melo, Alessandra A Marcolin, Claudia C Mayoral, Mariana M Ceriotto, Ricardo R de Souza, Edmundo E Cardoso, D Robert DR Harris,

Indexed on: 09 May '06Published on: 09 May '06Published in: American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology



Abstract

The purpose of this study was to test whether cesarean delivery before labor and before ruptured membranes is associated with a higher risk of postpartum morbidity than vaginal delivery among women who are infected with human immunodeficiency virus-1 in Latin America and the Caribbean.Data from a prospective cohort study (National Institute of Child Health and Human Development International Site Development Initiative Perinatal Study) were analyzed. The study population consisted of women who were followed for > or = 6 to 12 weeks after delivery, who had singleton infants, and with a known mode of delivery.Of 819 enrollees, 697 women met inclusion criteria (299 vaginal deliveries, 260 cesarean deliveries before labor and before ruptured membranes, 138 cesarean deliveries after labor and/or after ruptured membranes); 36 women (5%) had postpartum morbidity (18 major, 18 minor). Mode of delivery was associated with postpartum morbidity (P = .02). Unadjusted odds ratios (95% CIs) for postpartum morbidity according to mode of delivery were cesarean delivery before labor and before ruptured membranes (odds ratio, 1.16 [95% CI, 0.5, 2.7]), cesarean delivery after labor and/or after ruptured membranes (odds ratio, 2.96 [95% CI, 1.3, 6.7]), and vaginal delivery (reference). These results did not differ appreciably with covariate adjustment.The rate of postpartum morbidity was low. Mode of delivery was associated with postpartum morbidity, possibly reflecting the larger proportion of minor postpartum morbidity events among those with cesarean delivery after labor and/or after ruptured membranes.