Quantcast

Epidemiology of acute kidney injury in hospitalized pregnant women in China

Research paper by Diankun Liu, Wenjuan He, Yanqin Li, Mengqi Xiong, Long Wang, Jingxin Huang, Ling Jia, Shuling Yuan, Sheng Nie

Indexed on: 26 Feb '19Published on: 26 Feb '19Published in: BMC Nephrology



Abstract

Epidemiologic data of acute kidney injury (AKI) during pregnancy is lacking in China. This study aims to determine the effect of pregnancy on the risk of AKI among hospitalized women of childbearing age, and to describe the incidence, risk factors and outcomes of AKI in hospitalized pregnant women in China.We previously conducted a nationwide, multi-centered cohort of hospitalized patients from 25 hospitals in China during 1/1/2013 to 31/12/2015. Women of childbearing age (14–50 year) who had at least two serum creatinine tests within any 7-day window were selected as analysis set. Patient-level data were obtained from the electronic hospitalization information system and laboratory databases. AKI events were identified according to the creatinine criteria of Kidney Disease Improving Global Outcomes.Among 110,873 women of childbearing age, pregnant women (n = 10,920) had a 51% higher risk of AKI than non-pregnant women (n = 99,953). Community acquired and hospital acquired AKI occurred in 3.6% (n = 393) and 3.7% (n = 402) of the pregnant women, respectively, giving rise to an overall AKI incidence of 7.3%. While, hospital coding would have identified less than 5% of AKI episodes. The top three risk factors of AKI during pregnancy, ranked in order of decreasing population attributable fractions were pregnancy-induced hypertension syndrome (21.1%), acute fatty liver (13.5%), and chronic kidney disease (6.2%).AKI in pregnancy is associated with increased maternal mortality rate, longer length of stay and higher daily cost. AKI is a common and severe complication during pregnancy in China.