Imported: 24 Feb '17 | Published: 06 Jan '04
USPTO - Utility Patents
A cushion includes a formed or stretchable sheet, or cover, and a core. The core includes individual and separate particulates and an oil for enabling lubricated movement of the particulates within the core in response to an outside force applied to the sheet. Particulates may include a combination of polymers and foam materials particularly open celled foam materials that may be partially filled with the oil upon forming of the cushion.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE DRAWINGS
The advantages and features of the present invention will appear from the following description when considered in conjunction with the accompanying drawings in which:
FIG. 1 is a mold suitable for use in forming the cushion in accordance with the present invention;
FIG. 2 is a cross-sectional view of the mold shown in FIG. 1 along with a ram for forcing the cushion within a mold cavity;
FIG. 3 is a perspective view of a cushion in accordance with the present invention as it may be used in conjunction with, for example, a computer keyboard;
FIG. 4 is a cross-sectional view of a separate contoured elastomer that may be inserted between a sheet and a core of the present invention;
FIG. 5 is a cross-sectional view of a cushion utilizing the elastomer shown in FIG. 4 as it may be disposed between a stretched sheet and a core; and
FIG. 6 is a cross-sectional view of an alternative embodiment of the present invention.
1. A cushion comprising:
2. The cushion according to claim 1 wherein said stretchable sheet comprises an elastomer.
3. The cushion according to claim 2 wherein said elastomer is preshaped to the contour before insertion into said mold.
4. The cushion according to claim 1 further comprising an elastomer disposed between said core and said stretchable sheet.
5. The cushion according to claim 4 wherein said elastomer has sufficient thickness to prevent sensing of the particulates in the core through the sheet.
6. The cushion according to claim 5 wherein said mixture further comprises polymer particles.
7. The cushion according to claim 1 wherein said backing comprises a second stretchable sheet.